Alright, time for an update (no not April fools 😉 )
I’m currently working on an update to the Myanimelist Agent. I moved to another API that provides the Data for the Agent, the new version will use a standalone installation of the Atarashii API which is way better than my mess of an API that barely holds itself together.
Since this API is purely Myanimelist.net related it won’t supply any additional information like background images, banners or more covers. The previous version of the Agent did provide this information because the “old” API provided it because it made the requests to TheTVDB.com.
But while I have completed the work on the Agent, for now, I still want to add the TheTVDB information as well. For that, I am currently iterating over every. single. id. on. Myanimelist. to get the ID and the available titles. I automated this process a bit and am currently at 765/38000-ish. If that is complete I can write another program which will iterate over all ids and map the titles from Myanimelist to TheTVD or TheMovieDB. This mapping will then be used by the agent to pull additional data from TheTVDB or TheMovieDB to add to the Metadata.
However, that is a very tedious and long process initially because to not overload the requests on Myanimelist I can only make a request every 15 seconds. I hope the initial work is only that high and I can run the script to update the title and mapping list every week or month so keep it up to date.
I created a GitHub repository here that will store those lists for easier distribution and more importantly, everyone can clone the repository and make changes to it if something is mapped wrong.
The old API will still be online for now, so the old agent version will keep working (let me know if it doesn’t). But as soon as I have this all sorted out I will release the new version and disable the old API.